Frown lines form when facial expressions are made as the muscle under the skin contracts. Over time, as your skin ages, these repeated expressions cause lasting lines.
Xeomin® is a purified neurotoxin, also referred to as a ‘naked’ molecule because there are no additive surface proteins, just the botulinum toxin. Used to temporarily improve the look of moderate to severe frown lines without changing the look of your whole face. The untreated muscles in the face still work normally, allowing you to freely show facial expressions in untreated areas.
Xeomin® is another neurotoxin – it is in the same category as Botox® and Dysport®. It has been used in Europe for many years. It has fewer proteins than Botox®, possibly reducing the chance of resistance. If Botox® or Dysport® aren’t working, Xeomin® may be an option.
Xeomin® works like Botox® and Dysport® to block nerve impulses to the injected muscles but the difference is how it is manufactured. Xeomin® does not have complex proteins like the others.
Individual results vary. Unretouched photos
The Week Prior: Avoid ‘Blood Thinners’
To minimize bruising and/or swelling avoid the use of:
- Vitamin E
- Fish Oil Supplements
- & Any over the counter supplements that thin the blood
- If in doubt regarding prescription medication, consult with your physician
- Tylenol may safely be used during this time
The Day Of Your Xeomin® Treatment:
- You may wear your normal skincare and makeup to Flawless the day of your treatment. Melanie will clean the treatment area prior to your injections.
- Avoid working out for 24 hours following treatment
- No straining, or heavy lifting for 2-3 hours after Xeomin® Treatment
- No laying down for 4-6 hours following treatment
- Avoid manipulating the treated area(s) for 3 hours after treatment.
- Do not rub your face where you received injections for at least 3 hours
- No facials or other services for at least 24 hours
- Makeup may be worn immediately but ensure clean hands and brushes are used
- Other than that, you’ll be able to go about your normal routine immediately after leaving the Flawless Office
What to Expect:
- The initial injection site bumps take just 15-20 minutes to go down
- It will take a minimum of 7 to 10 days for the neurotoxin to reach its full effect
- If the desired result was not achieved after two weeks, contact our office for an appointment. Additional units may be needed.
- Some patients may experience bruising at the injection site. You may start taking oral Arnica tablets and/or apply topical Arnica. For convenience, we offer both at the Flawless Office at a reasonable price, though these can also be found at most drugstores
- Discomfort at the injection site(s) is normal. Some patients experience a feeling of fullness and/or ‘heaviness’ in the treated area. This will resolve on its own within a day or two.
As always, contact the office if you have any questions or concerns.
If this is an emergency, contact your Medical Provider or Urgent Care Center
Call or Text: 702.588.2260
What Areas Can Be Treated with Xeomin®?
- Frown, Worry, Laugh and Bunny Lines
- Periorbital Wrinkles (Crow’s Feet)
- Brow Lift or Brow Asymmetry
- Drooping Mouth Corners
- Lip Wrinkles
- Platysma Stranding (“Neck Banding”)
What Should I Expect with Xeomin® Treatment?
The actual injection process takes only about 10-15 minutes. Melanie will discuss your treatment goals and perform a facial analysis to determine the appropriate treatment areas for you. Melanie believes administering neurotoxins, like Xeomin®, is as much an art as it is a science. Patients are individually evaluated then given treatment recommendations which will create the desired effect.
How Does Xeomin® Work?
Xeomin® targets one of the underlying causes of frown lines and crow’s feet—the repeated muscle contractions from frowning and squinting over the years. Melanie will inject these muscles with Xeomin® to temporarily reduce muscle activity. You will begin to notice a visible smoothing of your crow’s feet lines and frown lines between your brows.
What Are Side Effects From Xeomin® Treatment?
Xeomin® side effects are minimal. The most common being slight discomfort at the injection site. Bruising at the injection site may occur but is not common. A very small percentage of patients develop a ptosis – slight lowering of one eyelid, and also rarely, asymmetry of facial expression. These effects are temporary.
Does Xeomin® Treatment Hurt?
No. Melanie uses very small needles to inject Xeomin® after applying ice to the area. Most patients report that they barely feel the injections.
When Will I See Results?
The effects of Xeomin® become visible within several days and its full effect is evident at three to seven days. Those results will last about three to four months.
Is Xeomin® Safe?
Yes. Xeomin® is FDA approve to treat wrinkles. It has been used in Europe for many years before gaining approval in the US and has a long track record. It has fewer proteins than Botox, possibly reducing the chance of resistance. If Botox or Dysport isn’t working, Xeomin may be an option for you.